Sunday, February 6, 2011

Retro: Kimmer

Retro: Kimmer

Link to Retro: Kimmer

I NEED YOU CHUCK JACKSON AND SCOTT MORGAN

Posted: 06 Feb 2011 09:44 AM PST



Very successful fabulous soul singer Chuck Jackson was the original singer for One of my favorite hits by Scott Morgan and The Ratio9nals. I like them both, but am partial to Scott and The Rationals harmonies vs Chuck with the girl backup singers. What do you think?







The Rationals Reunion 1991

FREDDY SCOTT: HEY GIRL

Posted: 06 Feb 2011 09:26 AM PST


Freddy Scott

Freddie Scott, singer: born Providence, Rhode Island 24 April 1933; married; died 4 June 2007.

In 1963, Freddie Scott cut a demonstration record of "Hey Girl", a new song by Gerry Goffin and Carole King. The intended recipient was the hit-making Chuck Jackson, but he turned the song down.

Instead, Goffin and King liked Scott's voice so much that they recorded their own version with him. Phil Spector heard the results and said, "You've got to put that out. It's a smash." "Hey Girl" was a Top Ten US hit and became a club favorite in the UK, being covered by several beat groups of the time. Read full bio HERE

This song is anthemic of the 60's and one of my most favorite tunes and crooner songs of music history. Enjoy Freddie singing "Hey Girl"

Freddy Scott's Discography


NEW*** SUNDAY SOUL WITH SCOTT MORGAN!

Posted: 06 Feb 2011 05:18 AM PST


Scott Morgan

Good morning! You know? I am one lucky girl. I talked about soul music yesterday with Scott Morgan for a long time. Scott is the ultimate encyclopedic mind on this topic. He knows so many really fabulous classic rarely heard soul tunes.

From time to time I ask him to give me some tips for a story. Then yesterday it popped into my mind... Hey let's ask Scott if he'd do a regular gig disc jockeying you tube soul videos for RK? Scott loves soul music as do I and we trade off videos alot. Scott's are the very best... You will be surprised at his choices as am I.

Scott said sure Kim... so here is our first installment of Sunday Soul with Scott Morgan!



When the Rationals first went to Chicago our A & R guy had this song on the radio. He said it was a station that covered only a few blocks downtown. I asked him where we could get a copy and he went in his trunk and pulled one out.

It's Willy Dixon on bass and Buddy Guy on guitar. we finally got to 2120 South Michigan avenue (Chess Records) and parked in the alley. a girl sticks her head out the door and says you guys can park in my parking place. it was Willy's daughter Jackie. I think Chris Taylor (jukebox) got the key chain that says Im ready. Mine just says 2120.



This is supposed to be Etta's (Jamesetta Hawkins) favorite. I think it was recorded at Muscle Shoals (Alabama).



Evie Sands did a cover of this. We tried to record it with the Solution in Stockholm Sweden but I think the key was too high for me. When I sent them my demos the tape got held up in Germany. When I finally got to nick's house we put it on but there was nothing on it. The studio was the best in town and called Atlantis.

No comments:

Stop Cat Converter Theft; Plus, the Best Buffers Tested and Mother's Day Gifts for Car-Loving Moms

View in Browser   SHOP EXCLUSIVES SUBSCRIBE Welcome to The Shop, where Road & Track editors and the Hearst Autos Gear Team hig...