Thursday, April 21, 2011

Retro: Kimmer

Retro: Kimmer

Link to Retro: Kimmer

RETRO KIMMER: IGGY AND THE STOOGES IN ANN ARBOR

Posted: 21 Apr 2011 10:04 AM PDT


Iggy and the Stooges in Ann Arbor's Michigan Theater

Ann Arbor has been buzzing for over a week waiting for Iggy and The Stooges to finally appear in Iggy's hometown. The fans were busy trying to find tickets as they were sold out so fast... Scalpers were having a field day.



Luckily for me, My photographer friend Heather Harris hooked me up with two really fantstic seats. I was far enough back to miss getting splashed with Iggy's always present bottle of water.

\\
Iggy and my pal Deniz Tek

The Stooges played 2 sets. First part was the Normal lineup. The second brought out Deniz Tek to play earlier Ron Asheton driven Stooges songs. Deniz played Ron Asheton's guitar! How amazing! Lots of folks were talking about Deniz's playing as if he were "possessed" by the spirit of Ron Asheton. Deniz played like himself to me. But, I have had the great fortunate to have seen him play before and at very close range.


Iggy Pop

This is the first time I have seen this band since 1970 I think. To me Iggy seemed very happy to be home and embraced that packed audience. Iggy was impishly warm and funny. Hi voice was fantastic and well the energy was just over the top. How does that man keep up that pace?


Retro: Kimmer and Rikki St James

Heather shot this cool photo of Rik and I outside Monday's sound check at the Theater. We had so much fun at this show! I have not met Iggy but I felt like I knew him.


Huge crowd going into the theater Photo: Richard Blondy


Iggy Pop at the after gig party at Webers


James Williamson and Steve Mackay

It was just really powerful to finally see James Williamson play live. I was going to go to his Ann Arbor meet and greet party but I was out of town working. Hopefully I will meet James eventually. Steve Mackay was unbelievable! The entire band was off the chart... Scott Asheton tore that kit up all night. If anyone has a good shot of Scott to share plz email it to me ok?


Mike Watt

Mike Watt was a total surprise for me. He is the most energetic joy filled bass player I have ever seen live. He was just so happy! Made me smile watching him enjoy playing music.


Guitarist Deniz Tek with Photographer Anne Laurent

Great Richard Blondy shot of Deniz Tek at the after party. Deniz wrote me that he was still on a "high" even the next day. He said he didn't sleep that night. Very exciting historical moment watching Deniz work his magic on 4 songs. Deniz was very close friends with Ron Asheton so this Memorial was very dear to his heart.


Wendy Mastal and Meridith Lorde with Iggy

My darling Motor City Rah Rah Wendy Starz (Mastal) was onstage dancing with Iggy when I walked in and saw her up there! turned out Wendy and her friend Jake had the seats to my right! YES we had a blast together and it was so sweet to be next to you buddies at such a huge gig!

I'd like to thank all my readers and friends who helped with this event/story. Heather Harris, Richard Blondy, RSJ, Natalie Schlossman, Deniz Tek, Scott Morgan and The Stooges for coming out to A2! Most of all thanks go to Ron Asheton for the great music. XXOOK

No comments:

NASCAR Reportedly Could Add Hybrids for New Manufacturers

It is the latest indication that NASCAR's current car could join IndyCar, IMSA, and F1 with hybrid power on short notice. View in Brow...