Friday, May 27, 2011

Retro: Kimmer

Retro: Kimmer

Link to Retro: Kimmer

DICK WAGNER'S TOP 10 INFLUENCES

Posted: 27 May 2011 09:52 AM PDT


Dick Wagner

Kimmer" my sweet friend....You asked me to give you a list of my favorite recordings from my past...and so I shall attempt to compile a basic top ten records that thrilled me upon first listening. These songs kicked my ass as a teenager. Warning...I'm older than you and your readers, so some of these may be barely remembered....


1. LONG TALL SALLY, Little Richard

A seminal Rock record with Little Richard at his most compelling. Deeply influenced my pathway into music.



On first listen, I could not believe what I'd just heard. The power, the intensity, the sound. Major influence.

2. HEARTBREAK HOTEL Elvis Presley

On first listen, I could not believe what I'd just heard. The power, the intensity, the sound. Major influence.



3. STAGGER LEE, Lloyd Price

Man did this record rock! The story lyric was an example of humorous bloodletting blues. Too Cool.




4. ONLY YOU, The Platters

Made me recognize my own romantic heart. That voice felt like it was me seeking the always elusive love, just beyond reach. Young Love.



Made me recognize my own romantic heart. That voice felt like it was me seeking the always elusive love, just beyond reach. Young Love.


5 ONLY THE LONELY, Roy Orbison

Unrequited, the lonely heart breaks. Teenage angst. Loved it then, still do.



6. GONE, Ferlin Huskie

Another initiation into the broken romantic heart. Really a country record before I knew the difference.


8. SALLY GO 'ROUND THE ROSES, ??
Mysterious, haunting, delicious vocals




Classic distorted guitar classic tune. I couldn't stop listening and discovered the heart of Rock guitar. Totally Cool.


8. SALLY GO 'ROUND THE ROSES, The Jaynetts



Mysterious, haunting, delicious vocals

9. SCHOOL DAYS, Chuck Berry

My introduction to lyrical, genius Rock music with great guitar riffs. Founding father of Rock.




10. DROWN IN MY OWN TEARS, Ray Charles

A fantastic introduction to the blues, Ray was live and the band was phenomenal. 1956 genius of Ray Charles Album

No comments:

The Electric G-Class Makes Its Geländewagen Ancestors Proud

It's good. Very, very good. View in Browser   SHOP EXCLUSIVES SUBSCRIBE The Electric G-Class Makes Its Geländewagen Ancestors Pr...