Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Retro: Kimmer

Retro: Kimmer

Link to Retro: Kimmer

SCOTT MORGAN VIDEO ORIGINALS FOR WEDNESDAY!

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 05:33 PM PDT


Betty Everett

Scott Morgan and I play video challenge a lot on You Tube. I track down really classic soul tunes for Scott and Deniz Tek too. Scott is the master at finding the original covers of a lot of really classic tunes. Scott knows all the original vocalists and groups. It is an amzing musical education for my readers and me as well! I really am into these songs and in order....

You're No Good: Betty Everett (I Love this original better than Linda's)



Your Real Good Thing is About to End: Mabel John



Do Wah Diddy: The Exciters



I Dig You Baby: Lorraine Ellison



Super Duper Love: Joss Stone
in case anyone missed it it's on facebook and kim's blog. this is still my fave. very old school with betty wright in the producer's chair. hopefully amy winehouse doesn't destroy herself because she's also very talented. Scott M



Go Now: Bessie Banks

RETROKIMMER CHATS WITH MUSIC PROMOTER JACK ASHTON!

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 07:00 AM PDT


Vinnie Dombrowski, Jack Ashton

20th Annual Detroit Music Awards
April 15, 2011
Fillmore, Detroit, MI


Jack (Rockets Shirt) with our pal Johnny "Bee" Badanjek

Well it has been a wild two weeks for Kimmer. I have been out and about meeting a bunch of new people in the Detroit music business. One of my favorite people that I just met is singer Brian Bogart Begdorian. Brian is the lead singer for Slaves of Illuminati.


Kimmer and Brian having fun....

Brian was the lead singer for a favorite band of mine... Bogart. Brian and I were chatting away a few nights ago and he mentioned Music/Record/AR Promoter Jack Ashton. A light bulb went off in my mind... Hey I think Jack is a friend of mine on Facebook! I went to see and sure enough there was Jack. What a cool guy! I wrote to him and then called him in Hollywood. We had fun putting this piece together today. We have a ton of friends in common and we both love " the never take no for an answer theory"!!!



Here is a photo of Jack at CKLW with 3 Dog Night! Also the famous PD / MD from CKLW Rosalie Trombley. Bob Seger's song "Rosalie" is for the legendary Ms Trombley.

Jack is originally from Detroit and went to Cooley High. Of course, Jack grew up entrenched in the Sound of Detroit Rock n Roll. (So did Kimmer) Jack has had this absolutely HUGE career promoting bands, getting records radio airplay, and traveling on the road with bands like a very young Def Leppard... Check out the DL video below. WOW that had to be such a trip traveling with that band.


WLLZ Michael Benner, Jim Jefferson, Paul Sullivan,
Dick Williams, Steve Resnik, Jack Ashton

Jack and I talked on the phone a couple of times and I listened to his story and we have so much in common. Noticed right off the bat that Jack rarely talks about himself. He is all about one thing and that is the MUSIC. Jack was such an influence over the music of my generation and many others to come after. Read Jack's All Access INTERVIEW HERE



Jack booked bands at The Grande where The Rationals/MC5/SRC and alot of British bands used to play like The Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart and Cream. Jack launched John Cougar Mellencamp and a boat load of other bands too....

In radio Jack was influenced a great deal by CKLW PD/MD Rosalie Trombley... (weren't we all??) He told me that she was a great teacher and was so generous in sharing her knowledge. We have heard this from so many other people and bands too.



Jack is a huge Rationals fan too! Loved talking with him about Scott, Steve, Terry and Bill.

According to Jack... mainstream radio is still a big factor in promoting new records and bands. I was a bit surprised by that but relieved to hear Jack say that. He would know... I would have thought that online marketing had taken over radio.

We did talk a bit about promoting online. I like to innovate and push the envelope as I am a computer geek. Jack told me he thought maintaining the learning curve was best.



We picked these two videos to go with Jack's story today. The Babys and Def Leppard. We definitely plan to get with Jack for a part two and three... about some other bands and jobs he has had more on that later...



Thank you so much JACK for sharing your career with me and thanks BRIAN for the idea!!! XXOOK

No comments:

Stop Cat Converter Theft; Plus, the Best Buffers Tested and Mother's Day Gifts for Car-Loving Moms

View in Browser   SHOP EXCLUSIVES SUBSCRIBE Welcome to The Shop, where Road & Track editors and the Hearst Autos Gear Team hig...