Sunday, September 18, 2011

Retro: Kimmer

Retro: Kimmer

Link to Retro: Kimmer

WAYNER KRAMER AWARDS ROBIN SOMMERS WITH CUSTOM KRAMER STRAT

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 04:14 PM PDT


Wayne Kramer Guitarist of the MC5

Wayne Kramer and his brilliant wife Margaret were in town this weekend for various programs.... I had a blast hanging out with Margaret and Justin McCormick of Modern Pirate.... They came out to meet me in Ypsilanti and we had a blast in Depot Town at my friend Linda French's Sidetrack pub and grill...



These Hill St houses were both so overgrown I almost drove right past them!



We had a little guided tour (by Kimmer) around Ann Arbor we went to Parker Mill, U of M campus, The 2 Hill St Houses which were so over grown... We went up Liberty St, State St, S. University, and then to Hill St. After that we scooped up Singer Scott Morgan and went down to his favorite haunt "The 8 Ball". Had a glass of wine and we were all pretty tired by 10 pm... So we agreed to meet Friday in Detroit.

I had not heard of the Red Bull Music Academy but what a fabulous place. We'll go down and write more about this great Academy...


Robin Sommers and Margaret Kramer

Margaret invited me to see Wayne Kramer speak at the Red Bull Music Academy lecture series the following night which I was very happy to attend. It was a such great fun.... and such a huge part of rock history.

Wayne was such a smooth speaker and this seminar on his life in music was so entertaining he had students and adults standing in the aisles. He was abrupt and very very honest. I had heard a lot of similar stories from my friend Dennis Thompson but hearing Wayne's view was refreshingly different.


Wayne from my view

I ended up sitting mostly on the sidelines with Margaret Kramer and Justin McCormick of Modern Pirate.

Did jump around the room with my video camera and still camera. Needed another set of hands... But the photos turned out pretty good.. THANKS MARGARET AND WAYNE!


Robin Sommers and Wayne's signature Fender Strat

It was really great to hear yet another side of the vast MC5 story. Much more in depth and though I have worked with Dennis Thompson for many years... it added another dimension...


One of the most fantastic stories from back in the MC5 days was that Artist Robin Sommers and Wayne together got the idea of painting the American Flag on Wayne's guitar after seeing Pete Townshend's Union Jack guitar. So together they painted this custom Fender Stratocastor.


Robin enjoying his strat!

Fast forward a bunch of years and with a lot of work from Margaret Kramer... Fender finally launched this cool guitar. How cool it is the Kramer's immediately wanted to give one to Detroiter Robin Sommers? I helped in a small way. Margaret needed Robin's contact info and I tracked it down for her....


Rikki St James and Old Friend Wayne Kramer

Thanks so much to Rikki st James for dinner and navigating me around the city. What a lovely man and I am so lucky to have met him. xoRK


Retro: Kimmer and Rikki St James




Robin Sommers and Retrokimmer photo Rikki St James

My very favorite film of this year..... Wayne gives Robin his American Flag Strat and some entertaining guitar demos.....




KIMMER AND RIKKI ST JAMES: PJS LAGER HAUS

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 03:19 PM PDT


PJ LAGER HAUS

Loved Jerry Cavanagh...so I had to shoot this sign. It is really nice inside and has great food especially their Gumbo...


CORKTOWN MURAL NEXT DOOR TO PJ'S

Not sure what building this is but what a cool Corktown mural!!! I thought that was John Sinclair at first but.... NOPE beautiful day and such a blue sky in the city.



RIKKI ST JAMES ON PJS PATIO

My favorite bass player having a little fun on Pj's patio... So funny! He had a big white straw sticking out of that drink.... I told him to lose the straw.....LOL HE DID.... We laugh all the time he and I.


COOL BAR....


LOVED THIS GREEN WALL WITH SMALL CHAIRS


PATION AT PJS HAD A COOL FEW BEHIND IT TOO


LOVED PJ'S BAR....


JEFFREY OUR SUPER COOL WAITER


Such great food but I have yet to see a gig here but with try to soon..... Thanks to J RAY our chef and Jeffrey

No comments:

JUST IN! Best Activity Book for Kids⭐

75 exciting things to do all year round! If you are unable to view the images in this email click here 175...