Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Retro: Kimmer

Retro: Kimmer

Link to Retro: Kimmer

MC5: OVER AND OVER

Posted: 29 Dec 2010 08:12 PM PST



Recently I finished reading Brett Callwood's book MC5 Sonically Speaking. One thing that popped out at me from Brett was his favorite MC5 song is "Over and Over" written by Fred Sonic Smith. Honestly... I didn't know that song.



So I dropped the book and hopped in front of my computer. I have a very good collection of all the MC5 tunes gifts from Dennis Thompson, Carlton of Easy Action UK, and fans. Searching through my long list of songs I found "Over and Over" and clicked it on play.

The song was from an MC5 rehearsal and it was just Fred playing his part of the song. I fell in love with it and have been playing it everyday this month. Made a cd for the Jeep too.



Riding in the Jeep Christmas shopping with drummer Al King, the instrumental Over and Over came on. Al turned it up and began softly singing the lyrics over it. It was so cool!

Don't have much back story on the song except that Dennis laughed and told me that Rob had to really work to keep the fast pace and sing higher than normal. I am censoring the rest! LOL



Over And Over

( Fred Smith )

People talkin 'bout solution, over and over
'Bout how we need a revolution, over and over
I was talking 'bout ecology, over and over
'Bout how we'll be saved by technology, over and over
While the cat next door spends all his time
Trying to think up new antisocial crimes

I said no, I said hang on a minute now
I set let me outta here
I said no, no, no

People talking revolution, over and over
About a mass execution, over and over
Well I was working in a factory, over and over
Just trying to make it satisfactory, over and over
But all these inclinations toward manic frustration
I want my vaccination against castration
Vietnam, what a sexy war
Uncle Sam's a pimp, wants us to be whores,

I said no, I said I can't take much more of this
You better let me outta here
I said no, no, no

Oh you see I need a release for my frustration
Oh don't you see I can't hold my aggravation
Oh...no, no, no, no

I see people dyin', over and over
Why don't I sit around crying, over and over
I see people taking, over and over
Why don't I sit around waiting, over and over

The cop on the street wants us down on our needs
The president says we've got to have peace
The other cat says we need our liberation
The hippies telling us we're in the love generation

I said whoa, I said hang on a minute now
This can't go on much longer
I said no, no, no

Over and over, over and over
Over and over, over and over

And the young bands make it their own...



Read More on RK
Machinegun Thompson's Blog
Machinegun on Facebook
MC5 on Gold
MC5 Sonically Speaking by Brett Callwood
Music is Revolution Michael Davis

JIM MCCARTY AND THE MILLIONAIRES DEC 30 @ CALLAHANS!

Posted: 29 Dec 2010 07:33 AM PST


Jim McCarty

Thursday December 30th @ 7PM Callahans
MILLIONAIRES HOLIDAY PARTY & JAM featuring Jim McCarty ...



Jim McCarty, the legendary rock guitarist from Detroit is sitting in with the Millionaires!



Jim hit it big in his teens as a founding member of The Detroit Wheels, Cactus, and The Rockets. He was friends with Jimi Hendrix and jammed with him after shows into the wee hours of the morning. He knew everybody and played with everyone! Still does!


The Rockets

Jim won a Grammy award (2005) when Les Paul recorded one of the songs he wrote with the Buddy Miles band. I have seen Jim in the past year 3 or 4 times. What strikes me most about him is his true love of the guitar. Not celebrity, not fame, but the music...

We've been lucky to see him do just about everything. Except play with a 10-piece big band!


Jim McCarty

That changes tomorrow night. Jim is going to get on stage and jam with The MILLIONAIRES at their Holiday Party and Jam. McCarty backed by a ten piece band! Something you don't see ever and something you don't want to miss! The place gets jumping around 7 pm and cover is just $5. Avoid the NYE crush or just get started a day early!

Jim McCarty Myspace
Jim McCarty on Facebook
The Millionaires Myspace

Read More on RK
The Rockets at The Fillmore
The Rockets Open for J Geils
Jim McCarty and Mystery Train

No comments:

Living With the McLaren F1

Drive everything, and this work of singular genius remains the ultimate ride. View in Browser   SHOP EXCLUSIVES SUBSCRIBE Living Wit...